How to cope with food poisoning at home
In most cases, especially in food poisoning caused by viruses, this condition can heal by itself in a few days. However, the symptoms of food poisoning will cause discomfort and can become severe.
- To overcome food poisoning, there are several steps that can be done, namely:Inadequate body fluid needs
- Diarrhea and vomiting due to food poisoning can make the body lose a lot of fluids. You need to refill this fluid by reproducing drinking water to prevent dehydration.
- In addition to drinking water, you can also consume electrolyte drinks and food in a gravy or soup to restore lost body fluids and electrolytes. Drink a little-little but often, so as not to be nauseous.
- Eat the Right food
When new symptoms arise, it is advisable not to consume any food in advance for several hours.
- After feeling more comfortable, try consumption of foods that are easily digestible, namely low-fat foods, low in fiber, and without much additional seasonings. Some examples of this food are rice or porridge, potatoes, bananas, and honey.
- You should also avoid foods that are spicy, oily, and too many seasonings, as well as foods and beverages that are acidic because it can cause severe symptoms. Also, avoid drinking beverages that contain alcohol, caffeine, or milk.
- Avoid using medicines without a doctor’s prescription
Diarrhea and vomiting during food poisoning is a natural process of the body to cleanse the gastrointestinal tract from toxins and bacteria, viruses, as well as harmful parasites.
- Therefore, you should avoid the use of diarrhea drugs, such as loperamide at the earliest times of food poisoning. Taking diarrhea medication can instead extend the symptoms of poisoning.
- In addition, diarrhea symptoms due to food poisoning also do not necessarily need to be treated with antibiotics. This is because antibiotics can not treat food poisoning caused by viruses.
- To determine whether food poisoning needs to be treated with diarrhea and antibiotic medications, you should consult a doctor first.
- Consumption of ginger water
To help relieve nausea and discomfort in the stomach, try drinking ginger water. Ginger drinks are known to have a calming effect to the gastrointestinal tract.
- In addition to ginger, food poisoning can also be handled by consuming an intake that contains probiotics, such as yogurt, that can nourish the gastrointestinal tract. Even so, yogurt is better consumed when the body condition has undergone improvement.
- Adequate rest
When experiencing food poisoning, multiply the rest so that the endurance can work optimally against the cause of poisoning. In addition, food poisoning symptoms can also make the body limden. Therefore, it takes enough rest to restore energy.